Wednesday 28 March 2012


ART & FASHION
My opinion


‘Art is art and fashion is an industry’ (Art and Fashion, Michael Boodro 1990) I disagree with this statement, strongly. Fashion is a way of expressing yourself individually as a person, and a way of the designer or creator showing and portraying their visions. Just as a painter claims to do so through their paint or sculpture. ‘Fashion is frivolous and unimportant. Except to a few hundred of its addicted followers, thousands of people who make their living from it and millions who like to shop’ (Art and Fashion, Michael Boodro 1990) Why not say this about art and its collectors, is it not the same principle. We could say people collect items of clothing to add to their own garment stash (in their wardrobe). To me people collect pointless pieces of art the artist hasn’t even composed, such as Damien Hirst’s ‘Dots’ some of which are for sale at a staggering £4200.

Why do people not see garments such as Alexander McQueen’s A/W 2010-11 collection as art. The garments contain so much dedication and time, detail & craftsmanship (or craftwomenship). I believe they are a piece of art in their own right.


‘For me, what I do is an artistic expression which is channelled through me. Fashion is just the medium’ Alexander McQueen, Savage Beauty, July 31st 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment